Wednesday 3 October 2012

Tentacle Monster


This is a screenshot of a view. The layers are a good indicator of how you can create a 3D effect out of different brush stroke effects. This also helped me to create a darkened area around the picture to make it look more like a scene rather than a rectangular picture.


The process for creating this piece was very complex as I had a few ideas in my head and I tried to put all the ideas together which didn't work. So using my mood board for further inspiration I liked how the tentacles were creeping towards the screen or a possible victim, so I based my idea around the theme of fear towards the creature behind the tentacles. I had the ends of the tentacles head towards the main focal point as a source of 'leading lines'. I added the mouth of the creature in to show more of what it may look like. 

I believe that leaving this image as a silhouette allows the viewer to use their own imagination of what the creature may look like. I decided not to use colour on the creature as I thought it would take the focus away from the middle of the image. The black and white effect was also inspired by the game "Limbo".

I'm happy with the final outcome as it gives a sense of a 3D space as well as a creepy atmosphere of a creature hidden within darkness ready to make a move upon the wandering traveler in the thickness of the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment